Become a MemberJoin Beaver Chapter
SWANA is an organization of professionals committed to advancing from solid waste management to resource management through their shared emphasis on education, advocacy and research. In doing so we provide education and networking opportunities to solid waste professionals in every facet of the industry, benefiting individual members while also furthering the work of the profession.
As a member you have access to the resources you need to be more successful at work every day, as well as leadership opportunities and connections to set you apart from your peers and further your career.
Membership Has Its Privileges
- Professional Development/ Leadership Opportunities: SWANA offers endless leadership opportunities to show your dedication to the solid waste industry and develop your leadership skills. Become a Technical Division Committee Chair, Chapter Officer or International Board Member. New volunteer opportunities are always coming up for those ready to lead SWANA and the solid waste industry into the future.
- Certification: Accepted by numerous states and provinces as the standard for solid waste employees, SWANA Certification offers invaluable benefits to certified individuals and their employers.
- Networking: Connect with over 6,000 other Division members at Technical Division Meetings held at SWANA events and through online communication tools.
- SWANA Chapters: Led by dedicated volunteers, each chapter works hard to keep its members informed about the latest issues and trends in the industry, while educating and advising local officials on industry issues.
- Training: Held at SWANA events or hosted by SWANA Chapters, training centers offer traditional classroom learning delivered by SWANA Certified faculty members.
- Events: SWANA hosts a variety of conferences each year, including WASTECON, SWANA’s premier event, that brings together thousands of solid waste professionals for the very best education, networking and exhibits.
How to Join
SWANA offers anniversary memberships, meaning your membership runs for one year from the date you join. Your individual membership type is determined by your current employment status.
- Public Sector Membership: $223 US
You are eligible if you are an employee of a public agency or a non-profit or tax-exempt organization.
- Private Sector Individual Member: $418 US
You are eligible if you are an employee of a for-profit organization that furnishes goods or services.
- Small Business Individual Member: $295 US
You are eligible if you are an employee of a company with ten (10) or fewer full-time employees or work for an independent solid waste hauling company with an annual gross revenue of less than $10 million.
- Student Member: Free
You are eligible if you are a full-time student.
- Retired Member: $82 US
You are eligible if you are retired from service (ceased full-time employment) in the field of solid waste management.
- Newly Joining Young Professional Member: $100 US
You are eligible if you are 35 years of age or younger and this is your first time joining SWANA as a working professional. Current members who qualify as Young Professionals should renew according to employment status (Public, Private or Small Business members).
A “Young Professional” is defined as an individual in the solid waste industry 35 or younger. That’s actual age, not just how you feel.
We are a group of individuals who represent the future of the solid waste industry. We are passionate about the environment, our industry, and helping each other succeed. We are eager to offer advice, brainstorm ideas, develop solutions, and share in the struggles and triumphs of working in this business.
We are energetic. We are motivated. We are committed. We are the next generation of SWANA.
Why join SWANA's YPs?
Here are just a few reasons:
- Excellent networking opportunities at events, conferences, and online
- Webinars targeting the challenges of the solid waste industry
- Resources that provide tools and information to succeed in your career
- Opportunities to voice your opinion about the future of SWANA
Membership Details for SWANA Young Professionals
New member Young Professionals pay a special first-year membership fee of $100.
The renewal rates for new YP members following their first year:
- Year 2: $150 for a renewing YP under the Public, Private, or Small Business sector
- Year 3: $200 for a renewing YP under the Public, Private, or Small Business sector
- Year 4: Back to full price at the standard membership rate for the industry sector
Must be a YP member for three consecutive years to receive the discounted YP membership rates. Once your membership is complete, log-in to your MySWANA account to connect with other YPs, interact with YPs on Twitter @SWANA or check in with the YP Linkedin group.
If you have any questions, please contact Shelby Truxon, YP Program Manager.
You can enhance your membership by joining a Technical Division. Technical Divisions provide opportunities for members to meet and interact with professionals specializing in all aspects of solid waste management. New members receive a one-year complimentary subscription to one Technical Division. Each additional subscription is $45.